Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Conqueror's Heart

When I read this story in "Jesus Freaks: Revolutionaries", I was so inspired! I tend to read alot on martyrs and I can tell you my faith is made so much stronger after reading their stories! I highly recommend this book, the first book ("Jesus Freaks: Martyrs"), "Foxes Book of Martyrs" by John Foxe, and reading the "Voice of the Martyrs" magazine (free subscription!).



This took place in Hungary 1950---

The Russian army captain walked haughtily down the aisle of the church and up to the pastor. "I will have a word with you alone. Take me someplace where we can speak privately!"

The officer was very young and brash and seemed very conscious of his role as a conqueror.


When the pastor had led him to a small conference room, the officer shut and locked the door. he nodded toward the cross that hung on the wall. "You know that thing is a lie," he said to the minister. "It's just a piece of of trickery you ministers use to delude the poor people to make it easier for the rich to keep them ignorant. Come now, we are alone. Admit to me that you never really believed that Jesus Christ was the Son of God!"


The minister smiled. "But, my poor man, of course I believe it. It is true."


"I won't have you play these tricks on me!" cried the captain. "This is serious. Don't laugh at me!"

He drew out his revolver and held it close to the body of the minister.

"Unless you admit to me that it is a lie, I'll fire!"


"I cannot admit that, for it is not true. Our Lord is really and truly the Son of God," said the minister. For a painful instant his muscles tightened as he awaited the bullet.

Instead, the captain suddenly flung his revolver on the floor and embraced the pastor. Tears sprang to the captain's eyes.


"It is true!" he cried. "It is true. I believe so too, but I could not be sure men would die for this belief until I found for myself one who would. Oh, thank you! You have strengthened my faith. Now I too can die for Christ. You have shown me how."

*************************************************************************************

This is the kind of life you've been invited into, the kind of life Christ lived. He suffered everything that came his way so you would know that it could be done, and also know how to do it, step by step.

"He never did one thing wrong,

Not once said anything amiss."


They called him every name in the book and he said nothing back. He suffered in silence, content to let God set things right.

-Peter (1 Peter 2: 21-23 THE MESSAGE)

*************************************************************************************

Following Jesus may cost us our life but imagine how many blessing will come from that and how many people will be inspired! This is a free country where Christianity is allowed so we tend to get lazy about spreading the Word or talking about Jesus or anything associated with Christianity but, in Communist country's I think the Christians really know what it means to follow Jesus. They do more there than most people even try to think about! I'll be posting more stories of them so you can get a glimpse of what we're missing out on (there's even a story that took place in China of two siblings, 15 and 16 years old, who's parents where in jail for witnessing to some Communist solders, that went and planted two churches! I liked that!)!

While you're at home or at school remember that you're a witness for Christ whether you want to show it or not! People are watching to see if what you believe is beyond words to you!

No comments: